Sunday, September 24, 2006

God Works to Perfect us:

My faith in God is built as I look back and see all He does through day to day, mundane events. Currently I am noticing that God does some amazing stuff before we bring babies into this world. I guess it is up to us to wake up and smell the roses to His loving teaching or to get ready for the hard road.

It probably started when our little Ellie was just a thought in our minds as we decided to pursue having kids. "Would God give us children" Katie would cry out to God as God was urging me to point our eyes towards Him, the one who opens and closes the womb.

As we had some complications in the beginning of the pregnancy, God urged me to point our eyes towards trusting Him with all circumstances in our lives.

During the pregnancy Katie has needed to depend more and more on me for tasks such as going out and getting tylenol at 5 in the morning, picking up things she dropped when I am in the other room, cutting her toenails for her (ewww!), getting her lots of things when her belly is weighing her down.

These things seem like little insignificant, not too much effort, tasks. But in the moment often my heart says no as I would rather serve myself than to love and serve my wife. Life matters in the day to day, seemingly mundane events. God is preparing me to give of myself more than ever before.

Which is very timely because when Ellie is born I will be needing to give of myself all the more. "The entire law is summed up in a single command: Love your neighbor as yourself" Galations 5:13.

May we all give of ourselves all the more as we live our lives for the Lord.

3 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Steeeeeeeve! I haven't talked to you in a long time! I didn't know you'd started a blog...daz cool! Keep us updated on life... :-)

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steve,
Such powerful and beautiful thoughts...it is amazing how our minds and hearts begin to shift gears as we welcome a child into our lives. Katie is so blessed to have you by her side with your awakening of new and more profound changes in your life. And Ellie will be even more blessed to have you and Katie as loving parents. Enjoyed your writing so very much...
much love,
Rita

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Steve & Katie LaBs said...

Thanks Rita! It means a lot. It seems that a little birdie told you I have a blog. Hmmm .. I wonder who it could be? Maybe Katie? The only one who knew about it? ;)
- Talk to you soon - Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home